PalestineRemembered.com Satellite View Search Donate Contact Us النسخة العربية
Home Pictures Maps Oral History Zionist FAQ Zionist Quotes The Conflict 101 R.O.R. 101 Site Members About Us
Welcome To Wadi 'Ara
District of Haifa
وادي عارة - ואדי עארה
Ethnically cleansed days ago

eMail
النسخة العربية
כדי לתרגם עברית
View in Google Earth


 
Statistic/Fact Value
Israeli occupation date February 27, 1948
Distance from district center 38.5 (km) South of Haifa
Elevation from the sea 75 (meters)
Map location See location number #47 on the map
Defenders Arab Liberation Army
Village remains
after destruction by Israelis
The village has been mostly destroyed with the exception of two village houses.
Ethnically cleansing
by Israelis
On 27th of February 1948, Wadi 'Ara was mostly ethnically cleansed, and few villagers were allowed to stay until July 1949, then the village was completely cleansed.
Land ownership
before occupation
Ethnic Group Land Ownership (Dunums)
Arab 7,846
Jewish 1,949
Public 0
Total 9,795
Land usage in 1945
Land Usage Type Arab (Dunum) Jewish (Dunum)
Planted W/ Cereal 6,400 1,949
Cultivable 6,400 1,949
Non-Cultivable 1,446 0
Population
before occupation
Year Population
1922 68
1931 81
1945 230
1948 4,267
Est. Refugees 1998 1,638
Number of houses
Year Number of houses
1931 18
1948 948
Town's name through history The village was named after the nearby Wadi 'Ara.
Nearby wadies & rivers The village overlooked Wadi 'Ara.
Archeological sites Wadi 'Ara had Tall al-'Asawir which contained burial caves dating from the fourth to the second millennium B.C.
Exculsive jewish colonies on town's lands 'En 'Iron, Kibbutz Barqay, & Ma'anit
Related Maps خرائط تفصيلية للمحافظة
Town's map on MapQuest
View from satellite
Help us map this town at WikiMapia
More Information
Language External Links
English Wikipedia's Page
Google Search
Google For Images
Google For Videos
Arabic في كتاب لكي لا ننسى
في كتاب بلادنا فلسطين
المزيد من موقع هوية
Hebrew Nakba-Online

Bibliography and References

Town Today

According to the Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi, the village remaining structures on the village land are:
"The site is occupied by Kibbutz Barqay. Only two village houses remain, both on the eastern edge of the site. One of them has arched windows and a spiral staircase leading up to a room on the roof. The second has a large entrance that is used today as a gate for the kibbutz's swimming pool."

Display Name Clan/Hamolah Country of Residence
To contact any of the below members, simply click on the names. All Registered Members
Adding a video has never been easier, click here to see what other members have added.