PalestineRemembered About Us Looting 101 Oral History العربية
Menu Pictures Zionist FAQ Conflict 101 Maps Satellite View Search Donate Contact Us Looting 101 العربية
About Us Zionist FAQ Conflict 101 Pictures Maps Zionist Quotes Zionism 101 R.O.R. 101 Oral History Site Members

al-Sawamir السوامير -

District of Haifa
Ethnically cleansed days ago


Google Earth
Picture for al-Sawamir Village - Palestine: : House rubble and some remain houses' walls
Statistic/Fact Value
Israeli occupation date May 22, 1948
Distance from district center 22 (km) South of Haifa
Elevation from the sea 50 (meters)
Map location See location number #21 on the map
Israeli military operation Operation Shoter (Police)
Israeli attacking brigade A special force drawn from the Golani, Carmeli, and Alexandroni brigades
Village defenders Local Palestinian militia, Arab Liberation Army volunteers, and some assistance from the Iraqi army in Tulkarm and Jinin.
Israeli acts of terror In September 1948, UN investigators stated that 130 villagers were unaccounted for (al-Tira, 'Ayn Houwd, & 'Ayn Ghazal for more detailes)
Refugees' migration route Villagers were expelled eastward to Jinin
Village remains after destruction by Israelis The village has been completely destroyed, and only house rubble left behind.
Ethnically cleansed by Israelis al-Sawamir inhabitants were completely ethnically cleansed.
before occupation
Year Population
1596 17
1931 1,439
Number of houses In (1931): 247 (included under 'Ayn Ghazal)
Archeological sites al-Sawamir contained foundations of buildings, cut building stones, caves, tombs, and a well.
Exculsive jewish colonies on town's lands En Ayyala & 'Ofer
Related Maps خرائط للقضاء توضح حدود القرى والاودية
Town's map on MapQuest
View from satellite
Help us map this town at WikiMapia
More Information
External Links
Wikipedia's Page
Google Search
Google For Images
Google For Videos
في كتاب لكي لا ننسى
المزيد من موقع هوية

Bibliography and References

Town Today

According to the Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi, the village remaining structures on the village land are:
"The ruins of two walls (formerly parts of a building) are visible at the site, which has been fenced in with barbed wire. "