PalestineRemembered About Us Looting 101 Oral History العربية
Menu Pictures Zionist FAQ Conflict 101 Maps
PalestineRemembered.com Satellite View Search Donate Contact Us Looting 101 العربية
About Us Zionist FAQ Conflict 101 Pictures Maps Zionist Quotes Zionism 101 R.O.R. 101 Oral History Site Members

Nitaf نطاف - נטאף -

District of Jerusalem
Ethnically cleansed days ago

العربية

Google Earth
Picture for Nitaf Village - Palestine: : Home Fall 2006. Photo: Annemarie Jacir
Statistic/Fact Value
Israeli occupation date April 15, 1948
Distance from district center 17 (km) West of Jerusalem
Elevation from the sea 400 (meters)
Map location See location number #1 on the map
Israeli military operation Second stage of Operation Dani
Village remains after destruction by Israelis Nitaf was mostly destroyed with the exception of ONE deserted house.
Ethnically cleansed by Israelis Nitaf inhabitants were completely ethnically cleansed.
Land ownership before occupation
Ethnic Group Land Ownership (Dunums)
Arab 1,401
Jewish 0
Public 0
Total 1,401
Land usage in 1945
Land Usage Type Arab (Dunum)
Irrigated & Plantation 166
Area planted w/ olives 77
Planted W/ Cereal 158
Cultivable 324
Non-Cultivable 1,077
Population
before occupation
Year Population
1922 16
1945 40
1948 46
Est. Refugees 1998 285
Shrines/maqams Nitaf had a maqam for local sage known as al-Shaykh Mas'ud.
Water supplies The villagers used to obtained their domestic water from a spring to the west and depended on rain for watering their crops.
Archeological sites Nitaf was built on an archaeological site and was surrounded by a number of khirbas.
Exculsive jewish colonies on town's lands The Israeli settlement of "Nataf" is not far from village lands.
Related Maps خرائط للقضاء توضح حدود القرى والاودية
Town's map on MapQuest
View from satellite
Help us map this town at WikiMapia
More Information
External Links
Wikipedia's Page
Google Search
Google For Images
Google For Videos
في كتاب لكي لا ننسى
في كتاب بلادنا فلسطين
المزيد من موقع هوية
Nakba-Online (Hebrew)

Bibliography and References

Town Today

According to the Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi, the village remaining structures on the village land are:
There is a large, deserted stone house on the site surrounded by old terraces. It is a one-storey house with an arched door and arched windows. Northwest of this house, at the bottom of a slope, stands another deserted house. Most of the village lands fell within the Demilitarized Zone that was delineated by the armistice agreement of 1949 between Israel and Jordan