PalestineRemembered About Us Looting 101 Oral History العربية
Menu Pictures Zionist FAQ Conflict 101 Maps
PalestineRemembered.com Satellite View Search Donate Contact Us Looting 101 العربية
About Us Zionist FAQ Conflict 101 Pictures Maps Zionist Quotes Zionism 101 R.O.R. 101 Oral History Site Members

Ma'lul معلول - מעלול -

District of Nazareth
Ethnically cleansed days ago

العربية

Google Earth
Picture for Ma'lul Village - Palestine: : كنيسة الروم الكاثوليك في قرية معلول المهجرة - يظهر في الصورة المطران الحجار باني الكنيسة مع ابناء القرية وذلك في العام 1936 أثناء عمليات انجاز البناء الصورة من مجموعة د. جوني منصور
Statistic/Fact Value
Israeli occupation date July 15, 1948
Distance from district center 6 (km) West of Nazareth
Elevation from the sea 275 (meters)
Map location See location number #2 on the map
Israeli military operation Second stage of Operation Dekel
Village remains after destruction by Israelis Ma'lul was mostly destroyed with the exception of the two village churches and the village mosque.
Ethnically cleansed by Israelis Ma'lul inhabitants were completely ethnically cleansed.
Land ownership before occupation
Ethnic Group Land Ownership (Dunums)
Arab 1,949
Jewish 2,719
Public 30
Total 4,698
Land usage in 1945
Land Usage Type Arab (Dunum) Jewish (Dunum)
Irrigated & Plantation 650 0
Area planted w/ olives 700 0
Planted W/ Cereal 784 2,678
Built up 29 35
Cultivable 1,434 2,678
Non-Cultivable 516 6
Population
before occupation
Year Population
1596 77
19th century 280
1912 296
1922 346
1931 390
1945 690
1948 800
Est. Refugees 1998 4,915
Number of houses
Year Number of houses
1931 90
1948 184
Town's name through history The Crusades referred to the village by Maula.
Religious institutions One mosque and two churches, and all remain standing, but in need of serious renovation guys!
Nearby wadies & rivers The village overlooks Wadi al-Halabi.
Water supplies Two springs lay in the vicinity of Ma'lul, one to the northeast and the other to the northwest.
Archeological sites The village contains a magnificent Roman mausoleum, which is known localy as Qasr al-Dayr.
Exculsive jewish colonies on town's lands Migdal ha-'Emeq, Kefar ha-Choresh, Timrat, and an Israeli military base.
Related Maps خرائط للقضاء توضح حدود القرى والاودية
Town's map on MapQuest
View from satellite
Help us map this town at WikiMapia
More Information
External Links
Wikipedia's Page
Google Search
Google For Images
Google For Videos
في كتاب لكي لا ننسى
في كتاب بلادنا فلسطين
المزيد من موقع هوية
Nakba-Online (Hebrew)

Bibliography and References

Town Today

According to the Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi, the village remaining structures on the village land are:
The village site is now covered with a pine forest planted by the Jewish National Fimd and dedicated to the memory of prorninent Jews and some non-Jewish Americans and Europeans. A military base is also on the site. The mosque and two churches still stand, and are used intermittently as cow sheds by the residents of Kibbutz Kefar ha-Choresh. Overlooking Wadi al-Halabi, between the village site and the site of al-Mujaydil, is an Israeli plastics factory. Cactus, olive trees, and fig trees grow on the site, which is strewn with piles of stones. A few tombs in the Muslim cemetery across from the mosque can be seen. The main village site also contains the remains of houses