PalestineRemembered About Us Looting 101 Oral History العربية
Menu Pictures Zionist FAQ Conflict 101 Maps
PalestineRemembered.com Satellite View Search Donate Contact Us Looting 101 العربية
About Us Zionist FAQ Conflict 101 Pictures Maps Zionist Quotes Zionism 101 R.O.R. 101 Oral History Site Members

Welcome To al-Jalama - الجلمة (ח'ירבת אל-ג'למה)

District of Tulkarm
Ethnically cleansed days ago

العربية

Google Earth
Picture for al-Jalama Village - Palestine: : Rubble on the village site, 1987
Gallery (3)
Statistic/Fact Value
Israeli occupation date March 1, 1948
Distance from district center 8.5 (km) North of Tulkarm
Elevation from the sea 50 (meters)
Map location See location number #6 on the map
Israeli military operation Coastal Clearing
Exodus Cause Expulsion by Jewish troops
Village remains after destruction by Israelis al-Jalama was completely obliterated, and only house rubble remains.
Ethnically cleansing by Israelis al-Jalama was initially inhabitants were intimidated into fleeing by the Haganah on February 8th, 1948, and it was completely evacuated on April 1st, 1948.
Population
before occupation
Year Population
1922 29
1945 70
1948 81
Est. Refugees 1998 499
Town's name through history The Crusades referred to al-Jalama by Gelenne.
Inhabitants place of origin Villagers originally migrated from 'Attil, Tulkarm (currently, in the occupied West Bank).
Nearby wadies & rivers The village was situated nearby the East banks of Wadi Jalama.
Exculsive jewish colonies on town's lands Lahavot Chaviva occupies some of Jalama's lands.
Related Maps خرائط للقضاء توضح حدود القرى والاودية
Town's map on MapQuest
View from satellite
Help us map this town at WikiMapia
More Information
External Links
Wikipedia's Page
Google Search
Google For Images
Google For Videos
في كتاب كي لا ننسى
في كتاب بلادنا فلسطين
المزيد من موقع هوية
Nakba-Online (Hebrew)

Bibliography and References

Town Today

According to the Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi, the village remaining structures on the village land are:
Piles of stones and terraces on the hill, along with a lone fig tree, provide the only evidence that a village formerly occupied the site. Cactuses, wild grass, and thorns also grow on parts of the site