PalestineRemembered.com Satellite View Search Donate Contact Us النسخة العربية
Home Pictures Maps Oral History Zionist FAQ Zionist Quotes The Conflict 101 R.O.R. 101 Site Members About Us
Welcome To 'Atlit
District of Haifa
عتليت - עתלית
Ethnically cleansed days ago

eMail
النسخة العربية
כדי לתרגם עברית
View in Google Earth


 
Statistic/Fact Value
Israeli occupation date May 15, 1948
Distance from district center 12.5 (km) South West of Haifa
Elevation from the sea 25 (meters)
Map location See location number #11 on the map
Village remains
after destruction by Israelis
No traces of Arab houses are left behind.
Ethnically cleansing
by Israelis
'Atlit inhabitants were completely ethnically cleansed.
Land ownership
before occupation
Ethnic Group Land Ownership (Dunums)
Arab 15
Jewish 5,262
Public 3,806
Total 9,083
Land usage in 1945
Land Usage Type Arab (Dunum) Jewish (Dunum)
Irrigated & Plantation 11 1,262
Planted W/ Cereal 247 3,169
Built up 0 124
Cultivable 258 4,431
Non-Cultivable 3,563 707
Population
before occupation
Year Population
19th century 200
1931 452
1945 660 (510 Jewish)
1948 174
Est. Refugees 1998 1,069
Number of houses
Year Number of houses
1931 193
1948 193
Town's name through history During the Hellenistic period, 'Atlit was known by Adarus.
Inhabitants place of origin In 1296, descendants of the 'Uwayrat tribe (a Tatar tribe) settled in 'Atlit and its vicinity.
Nearby wadies & rivers Wadi al-Tabun, wadi al-Sukhul, and Wadi Falah are bordering the village.
Archeological sites 'Atlit contained a Crusades Castle called Castle Peregrinorum (castle of the pilgrims), and a Muslim cemetery east of the Crusader castle which has an Arabic inscription dating to 1800s.
Exculsive jewish colonies on town's lands 'Atlit and Newe Yam
Related Maps خرائط تفصيلية للمحافظة
Town's map on MapQuest
View from satellite
Help us map this town at WikiMapia
More Information
Language External Links
English Wikipedia's Page
Search Birzeit Archives
Google Search
Google For Images
Google For Videos
Arabic في كتاب لكي لا ننسى
في كتاب بلادنا فلسطين
المزيد من موقع هوية

Bibliography and References

Town Today

According to the Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi, the village remaining structures on the village land are:
"No traces of Arab houses are left. A railroad station that used to serve the village is still in use. A prison in the vicinity was used by Israel in 1989 for holding Lebanese and Palestinian detainees."

 

Display Name Clan/Hamolah Country of Residence
To contact any of the below members, simply click on the names. All Registered Members
Adding a video has never been easier, click here to see what other members have added.