PalestineRemembered.com Satellite View Search Donate Contact Us النسخة العربية
Home Pictures Maps Oral History Zionist FAQ Zionist Quotes The Conflict 101 R.O.R. 101 Site Members About Us
Welcome To al-Mirr
District of Jaffa
المرّ / المحمودية - אל-מיר
Ethnically cleansed days ago

eMail
النسخة العربية
כדי לתרגם עברית
View in Google Earth


 
Statistic/Fact Value
Israeli occupation date February 1, 1948
Distance from district center 16.5 (km) Northeast of Jaffa
Elevation from the sea 25 (meters)
Map location See location number #8 on the map
Israeli attacking brigade Irgun Zvai Leumi (IZL)
Exodus Cause Feer of Jewish attack, or of being caught in the fighting
Village remains
after destruction by Israelis
The village has been mostly destroyed with the exception of few large deserted houses.
Ethnically cleansing
by Israelis
On the 3rd of February 1948, al-Mirr's inhabitants were terrorized in leaving the village by the terror gang of Irgun Zvai Leumi (IZL)..
Land ownership
before occupation
Ethnic Group Land Ownership (Dunums)
Arab 41
Jewish 0
Public 10
Total 51
Land usage in 1945
Land Usage Type Arab (Dunum)
Area planted w/ citrus 2
Planted W/ Cereal 31
Built up 2
Cultivable 33
Non-Cultivable 16
Population
before occupation
Year Population
1922 75
1931 101
1945 170
1948 197
Est. Refugees 1998 1,211
Number of houses
Year Number of houses
1931 25
1948 48
Town's name through history al-Mirr was founded during the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Mahmud II (1808-39), which it was known by his name for some time.
Nearby wadies & rivers al-Mirr is situated on the southern bank of the al-'Awja River.
Archeological sites al-Mirr contains the remains of a Turkish bridge which remains visible to this date.
Exculsive jewish colonies on town's lands No Israeli settlements on village lands.
Related Maps خرائط تفصيلية للمحافظة
Town's map on MapQuest
View from satellite
Help us map this town at WikiMapia
More Information
Language External Links
English Wikipedia's Page
Search Birzeit Archives
Google Search
Google For Images
Google For Videos
Arabic في كتاب لكي لا ننسى
في كتاب بلادنا فلسطين
المزيد من موقع هوية
Hebrew Nakba-Online

Bibliography and References

Town Today

According to the Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi, the village remaining structures on the village land are:
"All that remains of the village are a few large, deserted houses, surrounded by tall, thorny plants and some unused village wells and roads. One of the houses is a two-story concrete structure with a flat roof and rectangular windows and doors. Another house, also a two-story, concrete building, is quite large and architecturally elaborate. A dilapidated, stone-lined well, also remains, its ladder still inside. Railroad tracks run through the site and a number of palm trees are scattered across it."

 

Display Name Clan/Hamolah Country of Residence
To contact any of the below members, simply click on the names. All Registered Members