PalestineRemembered.com Satellite View Search Donate Contact Us النسخة العربية
Home Pictures Maps Oral History Zionist FAQ Zionist Quotes The Conflict 101 R.O.R. 101 Site Members About Us
Welcome To Bayt Umm al-Mays
District of Jerusalem
بيت أم الميس - בית אום אל-מיס
Ethnically cleansed days ago

eMail
النسخة العربية
כדי לתרגם עברית
View in Google Earth


 
Statistic/Fact Value
Israeli occupation date October 21, 1948
Distance from district center 14 (km) West of Jerusalem
Elevation from the sea 650 (meters)
Map location See location number #18 on the map
Israeli military operation Operation ha-Har
Israeli attacking brigade Har'el Brigade
Village defenders Arab Liberation Army volunteers, Jordanian Army, and some local Palestinian militia.
Exodus Cause Military assault by Jewish troops
Village remains
after destruction by Israelis
Bayt Umm al-Mays was completely destroyed and defaced, and only house rubble left behind.
Ethnically cleansing
by Israelis
Bayt Umm al-Mays inhabitants were completely ethnically cleansed.
Land ownership
before occupation
Ethnic Group Land Ownership (Dunums)
Arab 1,013
Jewish 0
Public 0
Total 1,013
Land usage in 1945
Land Usage Type Arab (Dunum)
Irrigated & Plantation 51
Planted W/ Cereal 273
Built up 2
Cultivable 324
Non-Cultivable 687
Population
before occupation
Year Population
1945 70
1948 81
Est. Refugees 1998 499
Town's name through history The Crusaders referred to the village by Beittelamus.
Water supplies Bayt Umm al-Mays has two springs located to the southwest which provided it with its water needs.
Exculsive jewish colonies on town's lands No settlements on village lands
Related Maps خرائط تفصيلية للمحافظة
Town's map on MapQuest
View from satellite
Help us map this town at WikiMapia
More Information
Language External Links
English Wikipedia's Page
Search Birzeit Archives
Google Search
Google For Images
Google For Videos
Arabic في كتاب لكي لا ننسى
في كتاب بلادنا فلسطين
المزيد من موقع هوية
Hebrew Nakba-Online

Bibliography and References

Town Today

According to the Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi, the village remaining structures on the village land are:
The site is covered with wild grass that grows around the remains of stone terraces. A few almond, olive, and fig trees also grow along the terraces. The dried-out stems ofvines can be seen among the grass. The remains of a demolished house, which include fragments of an archway, stand at the northern end of the village; the ruins of another house stand at a short distance from the southern end, near a well. Two caves can be seen in the west. There are two very large stone slabs standing at the southern edge of the site, surrounded by bushes

 

Display Name Clan/Hamolah Country of Residence
رنا حمدان حمدان القدس, قلنديا - البلد
All Registered Members
Adding a video has never been easier, click here to see what other members have added.