PalestineRemembered.com Satellite View Search Donate Contact Us النسخة العربية
Home Pictures Maps Oral History Zionist FAQ Zionist Quotes The Conflict 101 R.O.R. 101 Site Members About Us
Welcome To Dayr Rafat
District of Jerusalem
دير رفات - דיר ראפאת
Ethnically cleansed days ago

eMail
النسخة العربية
כדי לתרגם עברית
View in Google Earth


 
Statistic/Fact Value
Israeli occupation date July 18, 1948
Distance from district center 26 (km) West of Jerusalem
Elevation from the sea 300 (meters)
Map location See location number #13 on the map
Israeli military operation Second stage Operation Dani
Israeli attacking brigade Har'el Brigade
Exodus Cause Military assault by Jewish troops
Village remains
after destruction by Israelis
Dayr Rafat was completely destroyed in the second half of October 1948, and only house rubble left behind.
Ethnically cleansing
by Israelis
Dayr Rafat inhabitants were completely ethnically cleansed.
Land ownership
before occupation
Ethnic Group Land Ownership (Dunums)
Arab 12,966
Jewish 0
Public 276
Total 13,242
Land usage in 1945
Land Usage Type Arab (Dunum)
Irrigated & Plantation 216
Area planted w/ olives 25
Planted W/ Cereal 10,563
Built up 10
Cultivable 10,779
Non-Cultivable 2,453
Population
before occupation
Year Population
1931 218
1945 430
1948 499
Est. Refugees 1998 3,063
Number of houses
Year Number of houses
1931 69
1948 157
Town's name through history The village had a mosque named after a al-Hajj Hasan.
Archeological sites Dayr Rafat has three khirbas which contains the foundations of buildings, grape presses, rock-hewn cisterns, wells, a grindstone, and burial grounds.
Exculsive jewish colonies on town's lands Giv'at Shemesh
Related Maps خرائط تفصيلية للمحافظة
Town's map on MapQuest
View from satellite
Help us map this town at WikiMapia
More Information
Language External Links
English Wikipedia's Page
Google Search
Google For Images
Google For Videos
Arabic في كتاب لكي لا ننسى
في كتاب بلادنا فلسطين
المزيد من موقع هوية
Hebrew Nakba-Online

Bibliography and References

Town Today

According to the Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi, the village remaining structures on the village land are:
The site is covered with large piles of stone rubble and stone terraces; some of the latter are still intact, while others have been destroyed and are now mixed with the rubble of the houses. Cactuses grow on the northwestern edge of the site. There are a few tents belonging to the Negev tribe of al-Sani' the members of which have rented land from the monastery , which owns the village lands. The monastery, located 2 km west of the site, has a large statue of the Virgin Mary at the top of its facade, and parts of the structure are covered with red tiles. There is a spring on the western edge of the village and a cemetery lies in the south; one large tomb stands out. To the west there is a large olive grove

 

Display Name Clan/Hamolah Country of Residence
جهاد الرفاتي كليب(خليل) بيت لحم
محمود حمدان hamdan, rafat -
AJ Ja'fari -
RAFATI - texas, U.S.A
RAFAT ANWER - -
Rezeq Faraj Rezeq Faraj QC, Canada
Myriam Faraj Faraj Québec, Canada
Anan Hamad Hamad palestine, palestine
All Registered Members
Adding a video has never been easier, click here to see what other members have added.