PalestineRemembered.com Satellite View Search Donate Contact Us النسخة العربية
Home Pictures Maps Oral History Zionist FAQ Zionist Quotes The Conflict 101 R.O.R. 101 Site Members About Us
Welcome To Ghuwayr Abu Shusha
District of Tiberias
غُويّر أبو شوشة - ע'ויר אבו שושה
Ethnically cleansed days ago

eMail
النسخة العربية
כדי לתרגם עברית
View in Google Earth


 
Statistic/Fact Value
Israeli occupation date April 21, 1948
Distance from district center 8 (km) North of Tiberias
Elevation from the sea -150 (meters)
Map location See location number #5 on the map
Israeli attacking brigade Some unidentified troops from the Palmach
Defenders Local militia & Arab Liberation Army
Refugees' migration route Ghuwayr Abu Shusha inhabitants were ethnically cleansed to the Galilean town of al-Rama, east of Acre.
Exodus Cause Influence of fall of, or exoduce from, neighboring town
Village remains
after destruction by Israelis
Ghuwayr Abu Shusha was completely obliterated with the exception of its shrine.
Ethnically cleansing
by Israelis
The villagers were terrorized out of the village on 21st-28th of April 1948
Terminating refugee camps Some of the villagers ended up in 'Ayn al-Hilwa, Saydun refugee camp in southern Lebanon
Land ownership
before occupation
Ethnic Group Land Ownership (Dunums)
Arab 8,609
Jewish 3,439
Public 50
Total 12,098
Land usage in 1945
Land Usage Type Arab (Dunum) Jewish (Dunum)
Area planted w/ citrus 21 94
Irrigated & Plantation 1,377 1,450
Planted W/ Cereal 1,848 1,854
Built up 6 41
Cultivable 3,246 3,398
Non-Cultivable 5,407 0
Population
before occupation
Year Population
1945 1,240
1948 1,438
Est. Refugees 1998 8,833
Inhabitants place of origin Originally, the village was founded by al-Ghawarina and al-Samakiyya Bedouin tribes
Shrines/maqams A shrine for a local sage known by al-Shaykh Muhammad (remain standing).
Nearby wadies & rivers The village was nearby Wadi Rubadiyya
Water supplies The village had several nearby springs, which provided it with its dinking water needs.
Archeological sites The village contained Khirbat Abu Shusha, which had the ruins of water-powered mills.
Exculsive jewish colonies on town's lands Ginnosar and Livnim
Related Maps خرائط تفصيلية للمحافظة
Town's map on MapQuest
View from satellite
Help us map this town at WikiMapia
More Information
Language External Links
English Wikipedia's Page
Facebook Page
Featured Article
Search Birzeit Archives
Google Search
Google For Images
Google For Videos
Arabic في كتاب لكي لا ننسى
في كتاب بلادنا فلسطين
المزيد من موقع هوية
Hebrew Nakba-Online

Bibliography and References

Town Today

According to the Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi, the village remaining structures on the village land are:
The village site is covered with thorns and wild vegetation, including Christ's-thorn trees and cactuses. The shrine of Shaykh Muhammad and the remains of a mill can be seen among piles of stones and a few olive trees

Display Name Clan/Hamolah Country of Residence
To contact any of the below members, simply click on the names. All Registered Members