According to an article published at the World Zionist Organization's (WZO) website:
"REMARKABLY, the Khazars, a people of Turkic origin, converted to the Jewish religion sometime in the 9th century, beginning with the royal house and spreading gradually among the general populace. Judaism is now known to have been more widespread among the Khazar inhabitants of the Khazar kingdom than was previously thought. In 1999, Russian archaeologists announced that they had successfully reconstructed a Khazarian vessel from the Don River region, revealing 4 inscriptions of the word "Israel" in Hebrew lettering. It is now the accepted opinion among most scholars in the field that the conversion of the Khazars to Judaism was widespread, and not limited merely to the royal house and nobility. Ibn al-Faqih, in fact, wrote "All of the Khazars are Jews." Christian of Stavelot wrote in 864 that "all of them profess the Jewish faith in its entirety." Click here to view the full article and links to the original source.
Source: Atlas of World History, p. 108
- Wikipedia: Khazars.
- Khazaria, A hidden & forbidden Jewish history exposed
- The Thirteenth Tribe by Arthur Koestler
- NYTimes: Geneticists Report Finding Central Asian Link to Ashkenazi Levite
- NY Times: Studies Show Jews' Genetic Similarity
- In DNA, New Clues to Jewish Roots by the NY Times
- Ukraine & The Khazar Empire By the Jewish Virtual Library
- Zionist FAQ: The Land of Israel was promised to the descendents of Isaac by God
- Electronic Intifada: Israel's surprising best seller contradicts founding ideology
- Ha'aretz: An invention called 'the Jewish people'
- Khazri-Fiction: A Yahoo e-group that is for people interested in reading, writing, publishing, or distributing historical fiction novels and short stories about the Khazar Khaganate as well as other topics in Jewish, Slavic, and Turkic history
- Ha'aretz: Shattering a 'national mythology' By Ofri Ilani
- Associated Press: Scholar claims to find medieval Jewish capital
- The lost Palestinian Jews
- A Must See NOVA Video: The Bible's Buried Secrets