PalestineRemembered.com Satellite View Search Donate Contact Us النسخة العربية
Home Pictures Maps Oral History Zionist FAQ Zionist Quotes The Conflict 101 R.O.R. 101 Site Members About Us
Welcome To al-Lajjun
District of Jinin
اللجّون - א-לג'ון
Ethnically cleansed days ago

eMail
النسخة العربية
כדי לתרגם עברית
View in Google Earth


 
Statistic/Fact Value
Israeli occupation date May 30, 1948
Distance from district center 16 (km) Northwest of Jinin
Elevation from the sea 150 (meters)
Map location See location number #2 on the map
Israeli military operation Operation Gideon
Israeli attacking brigade Golani's Fourth Battalion
Defenders Arab Liberation Army
Israeli acts of terror Massacre occured by Jewish troops against the town's inhabitants.
Exodus Cause Military assault by Jewish troops
Village remains
after destruction by Israelis
al-Lajjun was mostly destroyed with the exception of the white stone mosque, one village mill, the village health center, and few partially destroyed houses still visible on the village site, ses Pictures section for details.
Ethnically cleansing
by Israelis
al-Lajjun inhabitants were completely ethnically cleansed.
Village clans or hamolas The village was made of several clans (hamayl) including:- al-Mahajina al-Tahta,al-Ghubariyya, al-Jabbarin, al-Mahamid, and al-Mahajina al-Fawqa clans
Land ownership
before occupation
Ethnic Group Land Ownership (Dunums)
Arab 68,311
Jewish 0
Public 8,931
Total 77,242
Population
before occupation
Year Population
1596 226
1922 417
1931 857
1945 5,409
1948 1,280
Est. Refugees 1998 7,857
Number of houses
Year Number of houses
1931 162
1948 241
Town's name through history The Romans founded the village and called it Legio.
Schools al-Lajjun had an elementary school for boys which was founded in 1937, and in 1945 it had an enrollment of 83 students.
Inhabitants place of origin The most recent Palestinian population came from Umm al-Fahim escaping the British prosecution after the 1st intifadah in 1936.
Notable people from town Two famous Muslim scholars are from al-Lajjun: 'Ali al-Shafi'i (d. 1310) and 'Ali ibn al-Jalal.
Religious institutions The village had two mosques, and currently the white mosque functions as carpentry workshop by Israeli Jewish settlers.
Nearby wadies & rivers al-Lajjun is situated on both banks of Wadi al-Lajjun.
Water supplies al-Lajjun has several springs, including spring of 'Ayn al-Hajja used to provide the village with a fresh water source.
Archeological sites The village contains Tall al-Mutasallim (ancient Megiddo) which was excavated by German archaeologists in 1903
Exculsive jewish colonies on town's lands Kibbutz Megiddo
Related Maps خرائط تفصيلية للمحافظة
Town's map on MapQuest
View from satellite
Help us map this town at WikiMapia
More Information
Language External Links
English Wikipedia's Page
Search Birzeit Archives
Google Search
Google For Images
Google For Videos
Arabic في كتاب لكي لا ننسى
في كتاب بلادنا فلسطين
المزيد من موقع هوية
Hebrew Nakba-Online

Bibliography and References

Town Today

Only the white stone mosque, one village mill, the village health center, and a few partially destroyed houses remain on the site. The mosque has been converted into a carpentry workshop and one of the houses has been made into a chicken coop. The health center and grain mill are deserted, and the school is gone. The cemetery remains, but it is in a neglected state; the tomb of Yusuf al-Hamdan, a prominent nationalist who fell in the 1936 revolt, is clearly visible. The surrounding lands are planted with almond trees, wheat, and barley; they also contain animal sheds, a fodder plant, and a pump installed on the spring of 'Ayn al-Hajja. The site is tightly fenced in and entry is blocked.

Display Name Clan/Hamolah Country of Residence
يوسف محاميد محاميد -
نضال الأسمر جبارين جنين, الطيبة
REMAWI جمعه jenin
الشاعر راضي عبد الجواد محاميد -
Dalia Mhaid Mhaid Wisconsin, USA
nagham - -
All Registered Members