Battir is an ancient town located Is located to the south-west of the city of Jerusalem and about 8km away from it center, Battir village lies adjacent to the Armistice line (Green Line), it. It rises 632 meters above sea level The village occupies a total area of 7165 Dunums and has a total population of 4092 inhabitants.
Battir lies perhaps 6 km west of Bethlehem as the crow flies, but access is circuitous. The road runs far above the village and to its south, then drops down a steep hill facing north and levels out at the village mosque, center of the village.
Battir used to be known to all visitors to the Holy Land, but that was back in the days when people took the train to Jerusalem and when the train stopped at Battir for passengers and water. Battir was then part of a unified Palestine, not just a West Bank village. Its proximity to Israel--the Green Line follows the railroad.
Battir overlooks the railroad running from Jaffa to Jerusalem. Battir had suddenly become isolated in 1949, when the railway became part of theGreen Line separating Israel from Jordan.
For three generations, the villagers had been commuting by rail to Jerusalem, where they sold crops such as fresh mint by the bunch. (They grew the mint with spring water that had beentapped at Battir even before the Roman era.
Battir village exist from the Canaanite era. naming: There are several explanations for naming the village of Battir this name, some historians have attributed the name to the Canaanite origin is the house - Air and means house of birds, birds here are intended eagle was a bird nest in nests high mountains, and for that which is being called the valley next to the name Valley Eagles , or that the name is derived from the word Canaanite is also a "bit - Terra", meaning the fold of sheep, sheep to the large pool is located in the plain at the foot of a small village called the room (bottom) or it may be that the name is derived from the verb "amputation "Arab High, which means cutting or separation.
Later Battir is identified with the Jewish town of Beitar, which was a stronghold during the 2nd century Bar Kokhba revolt against Roman rule in Judea. Located on a steep hill to the west of Battir, the remains of the ancient town are known today as Khirbet al-Yahud, Arabic for "ruin of the Jews.“
In modern times, Battir's development since 1890 was linked to its location alongside the railroad to Jerusalem, which provided both access to the city's opportunities as well as direct income from passengers who would disembark when the locomotives stopped to take on water. After the 1948 war, Israel controlled all of modernday Israel with the West Bank and Gaza outside its borders. The border, known as the Green Line, fell along the Battir railroad and Battir ended up just meters within Jordan's border.
Rhodes stipulated agreement signed by Jordan, like other neighboring countries to Palestine in 1948 with the Zionist occupation to allow the people of Battir exploit agricultural land occupied without any permission. It is for this the people of Battir always working on cultivation and care of it.
After the 1967 War, Battir became occupied by Israel along with the rest of the West Bank. However, the UN adopted United Nations Security Council Resolution 242 calling on Israel to withdraw from the territories occupied in the 1967 war, which has yet to be implemented. Since the 1995 signing of the Interim Agreement on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, it has been administered by the Palestinian Authority.
more links: http://www.youtube.com/user/Laitharaj
Battir, April, 2011
If you are the above author of the Article, you can edit your Article by clicking the button below:
The above documents, article, interviews, movies, podcasts, or stories reflects solely the research and opinions of its authors. PalestineRemembered.com makes its best effort to validate its contents.