PalestineRemembered About Us Looting 101 Oral History العربية
Menu Pictures Zionist FAQ Conflict 101 Maps
PalestineRemembered.com Satellite View Search Donate Contact Us Looting 101 العربية
About Us Zionist FAQ Conflict 101 Pictures Maps Zionist Quotes Zionism 101 R.O.R. 101 Oral History Site Members

Baysamun بيسمون - ביסמון -

District of Safad
Ethnically cleansed days ago

العربية

Google Earth
Picture for Baysamun Village - Palestine: : The Village Site In 1990
Statistic/Fact Value
Israeli occupation date May 25, 1948
Distance from district center 16.5 (km) North East of Safad
Elevation from the sea 75 (meters)
Map location See location number #30 on the map
Israeli military operation Operation Yiftach (commanded by the ethnic cleansing champion Yigal Allon)
Israeli attacking brigade The Palmach's First Battalion
Exodus Cause Haganah 'Wispering' campaign (psychological warfare)
Village remains after destruction by Israelis The village has been completely obliterated
Ethnically cleansing by Israelis Baysamun was ethnically cleansed as a result of psychological warfare conducted on the 25th of May 1948.
Land ownership before occupation
Ethnic Group Land Ownership (Dunums)
Arab 2,057
Jewish 0
Public 45
Total 2,102
Land usage in 1945
Land Usage Type Arab (Dunum)
Irrigated & Plantation 107
Planted W/ Cereal 1,817
Cultivable 1,924
Non-Cultivable 178
Population
before occupation
Year Population
1922 41
1931 50
1945 20
1948 23
Est. Refugees 1998 143
Number of houses
Year Number of houses
1931 11
1948 11
Town's name through history Baysamun name may have been a derivation of Bayt (meeaning a house) and Ashmun (a Phoenician god).
Exculsive jewish colonies on town's lands No settlements on village lands
Related Maps خرائط للقضاء توضح حدود القرى والاودية
Town's map on MapQuest
View from satellite
Help us map this town at WikiMapia
More Information
External Links
Wikipedia's Page
Google Search
Google For Images
Google For Videos
في كتاب لكي لا ننسى
المزيد من موقع هوية
Nakba-Online (Hebrew)

Bibliography and References

Town Today

According to the Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi, all that remains of the village:
No traces of the houses remain. The site is occupied by warehouses for agricultural implements used by Kibbutz Manara, which had been established in 1943